Monday, January 25, 2010
Chris Boyd becomes a starter in Vandy fan poll, but does he really want to be a Yellow Jacket?
Look at our poll to the right and see who the Moral Victory! audience thinks will start at wide receiver in 2010 for the Commodores.
John Cole and Udom Umoh, of course. But who's the third starter?
Why, it's Chris Boyd, the 6-foot-5, 190-pound high school senior from Roswell, Ga. He gets 50 percent of the vote, followed by junior corner Jamie Graham (44%), sophomore Brady Brown (41), and two more true freshmen, Jonathan Krause (25) and Jordan Matthews (22).
But don't pencil him into the starting lineup just yet. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Boyd got a phone call last night from Paul Johnson, along with a scholarship offer to Georgia Tech. Now he's taking an official visit this weekend, and he says, "Right now, I’m still committed to Vanderbilt. I’ll have to wait until I visit Georgia Tech.”
Ouch. Bradley Roby had a great chance to start for Vandy as a true frosh, and he jumps ship to Ohio State a couple of weeks ago. Now Boyd is flirting with his hometown team.
He's not the only recruit taking visits since he committed to the Commodores. Here are the other road warriors:
• Jerrell Priester, athlete: Kentucky on Dec. 5; still committed.
• Sharrod Golightly, safety: Georgia Tech on Jan. 22 and South Carolina this weekend.
• Andre Hal, cornerback: Nebraska on Oct. 16 and Louisiana Tech on Dec. 12 (and now Louisiana Tech's coach is at Tennessee); still committed.
• Kyle Woestmann, defensive tackle: South Carolina on Jan. 22.
• Nash Nance, quarterback: Tennessee on Jan. 22.
Hey, our signing class can't shrink below two. Jordan Rodgers and Kenneth Ladler have already enrolled in school.