Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Vandy gets verbal commitment from 6-foot-8 lineman
Over the weekend, Vandy landed a verbal commitment from Blake Fromang, a 6-foot-8, 280-pound offensive tackle from Orlando. Fromang was also considering South Florida – are the Bulls sorry they lost Josh Grady or what?
Anyway, James Franklin says that recruiting offensive tackles is a priority for him, as opposed to just stockpiling big multi-purpose linemen. Fromang is a real offensive tackle with the long arms, flexible hips, nimble feet and all-around athleticism you look for in a tackle. He’ll join Barrett Gouger, a 6-foot-5, 285-pound tackle from Chattanooga.
I’m reluctant to even mention how many stars Fromang got, considering that we’re currently playing a couple of two-star true freshmen (Spencer Pulley and Joe Townsend) over a bunch of three-star guys (Grant Ramsay, Jake Bernstein, James Lewis).
But what the heck. Both Fromang and Gouger are consensus three-star recruits, according to Rivals, Scout and ESPN.
Here’s how our recruiting class is shaking out:
• One consensus four-star player: RB Brian Kimbrow
• Five more players with at least one 4-star rating: LBs Darreon Herring and Jacob Sealand and Des Stephen Weatherly, Josh Dawson and Caleb Azubike.
• Five consensus three-star players: WR Jaydrick Declouet, DB Paris Head, ATH Brandon Banks and OLs Fromang and Gouger.
• Four more players who received at least one 3-star rating: DL Ladarius Banks, ATH Jaborian McKenzie, DE Tre Griffin and WR Cory Batey.
• A two-star player: K Colby Cooke
Sure, it won’t mean anything when they hit the field, but at least we’re getting better raw talent than we’ve gotten in the past.