Friday, November 6, 2009

Picks for this weekend's SEC games

Last week, we got bored and then we got crazy and picked a bunch of improbable upsets.

But alas, Georgia did not upset Florida (dumb) and Vandy did not upset Tech (dumber).

I knew better to pick those upsets. I didn't know better when I picked SC over UT and UM over AU.

Anyway, last week's 3-4 showing dropped me to 54-14 on the year, or 77.8 percent. Ouch. I'd like to crack 80 percent.

Enough analysis. Here are this week's picks:

SOUTH CAROLINA AT ARKANSAS: I really thought Spurrier and the Gamecocks would get it done last week on the road in Knoxville. Now even less sure about this week's trip to Arkansas. The question is, which Razorback defense will show up? Frankly, picking any games not involving Florida, Alabama, LSU or Vanderbilt has been extremely tricky this year. I'm going with Spurrier one more time this year. Gamecocks 23-21.

TENNESSEE TECH AT GEORGIA: Ah, back to those red helmets. And lousy opponents. Bulldogs 41-3.

EASTERN KENTUCKY AT KENTUCKY: Man, I'm jealous of the Wildcats' schedule. Wildcats 31-10.

FURMAN AT AUBURN: Man, I'm jealous of the Tigers' schedule. At least for this week. Tigers 48-10.

LSU AT ALABAMA: Should be a low-scoring struggle. Which means it may not be. Saban does a great job when he's got extra time to prepare for a team — well, as long as it's not Utah. Crimson Tide 31-17.

MEMPHIS AT TENNESSEE: When I'm feeling down, I like to think about the time when a Memphis Tiger fell down on a kickoff return but nobody noticed and he just lifted his knee off the grass and kept on running for a touchdown and Tennessee lost. Won't happen this year. Volunteers 24-10.

VANDERBILT AT FLORIDA: A couple of weeks ago, Vandy was just what the doctor ordered for an ailing Georgia team. Now Vandy is just what the doctor ordered for a Florida team that... well, that doesn't really need a doctor. Gators 38-10.

NORTHERN ARIZONA AT OLE MISS: At least the Rebels have some nice scrapbooks filled with all the cool news clippings they collected last summer. Rebels 40-13.

No comments: