Thursday, January 1, 2009
Coach Bobby Johnson on Vanderbilt's Music City Bowl victory — and the future
Here are some post-game quotes from the always quotable Coach Johnson:
ON THE KEYS TO VICTORY
• "Field position was huge in this game."
• "No penalties, no turnovers, 16 points on special teams — it’s a good formula if you can make it work."
• "Our fans were fantastic — we could hear them the whole game. I’m sure that helped us and gave us a little bit of an advantage but we’re glad they were there."
• "That was the main emphasis for us — if you win the bowl game you’ll have a winning season. We want to be called winners. We want to be called champions. "
• "We had extra time for special teams (during bowl practices) that we took advantage of."
FROM THE NO KIDDING DEPARTMENT
• On Chris Nickson's passing: "He didn’t do a very good job of that."
• On Vanderbilt's performance on third down (only one first down on 15 tries, including zero-for-five on third and one yard):"We didn’t do a very good job on third down."
• On the weather: "It was cold out there today."
• On how he felt after the win: "I guess everybody can figure out we’re pretty happy. It may not have been the prettiest victory in the whole world but it is now."
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
• On improving on third and one: "That’s going to be an emphasis in spring practice. It ought to be automatic. We ought to get third and one at least 80-90 percent of the time."
• On next year's team: "We got a bunch of guys coming back who’ve gotten used to winning and liking it."