Wednesday, September 3, 2008

PREVIEW: THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAME


Just heard some Gamecock fans whooping and hollering about trying to knock Chris Nickson out of the game. Wouldn't be good. But they're forgetting how MacKenzie Adams (right) torched ’em for 17 points in the first quarter last year.

Anyway, Spurrier doesn't lose early in the season unless he's playing LSU. His players are fresh and he hasn't started messing with his quarterbacks' minds yet. Heck, Mark Richt is scared to play South Carolina in September, and for good reason.

I think this one is close. We believe we can beat Spurrier now, which is a start. But outside of Nickson, we can't run the ball consistently, and the Gamecock defense is awfully, awfully tough. Would I be surprised if we won? Well, yeah. Would I be surprised if we lost on a last-second field goal — say, 17-14? No. Would I be surprised if we lost 28-0? No.

So I'll average those two scores and say we lose 17-7.

Last week was a huge game. We lose that one and our season is cooked.

This week we're supposed to lose. I'm telling ya, the Gamecock defense is tough and we're gonna have a hard time moving the ball. We could get smacked in the mouth and still get the magic six wins.

And if you think we're gonna win, I hope you can say, "I told you so" about midnight Thursday.

No comments: