Wednesday, November 5, 2008
PROOF THAT D.J. MOORE IS AMONG THE NATION'S BEST DEFENSIVE BACKS
We know how good D.J. Moore is. But it's always nice to get some affirmation.
Like being named a Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist, which means he's one of the 13 best defensive backs in America, and one of the seven best underclassmen at the position.
Here are the other guys, starting with four we've faced or will face this season:
• Asher Allen, Jr., Georgia
• Eric Berry, So., Tennessee
• Emanuel Cook, Jr., South Carolina
• Vontae Davis, Jr., Illinois
• Trimane Goddard, Sr., North Carolina
• Malcolm Jenkins, Sr., Ohio State
• Trevard Lindley, Jr., Kentucky
• Taylor Mays, Jr., Southern California
• Mike Mickens, Sr., Cincinnati
• William Moore, Sr., Missouri
• Alphonso Smith, Sr., Wake Forest
• Otis Wiley, Sr., Michigan State
By the way, the only sophomore is Eric Berry, who was praising D.J. last week for not doing much trash-talking (just enough to get the job done). Playing on a stumbling Tennessee team has only boosted his stock, because the kid just keeps playing hard and knocking the you-know-what out of people long after his team has once again firmly planted itself on the wrong side of the scoreboard.