James Franklin has his team focusing on doing the best job they can for six seconds at a time, and taking one opponent at a time. Week after week, he sounds like a broken record, but the Commodores are getting better every Saturday.
And Derek Dooley? What’s he telling the media?
Check out these quotes from Monday’s press conference:
• “We’re on the ropes — we’re not out yet.”
• “It’s so important that our team feeds their spirit with some positive thoughts.”
• He said his team needs to be “solution-oriented” not “results-focused.”
• On Vandy: “Nobody can never pull away from them.”
• On what he’ll tell his team if the Vols don’t make it to a bowl this year: “We need to stay on Vandy. We’ll get through the Vandy game and see how we perform there.”
• “This one game is not going to impact our entire program the next 3 years, I’m not approaching it that way. It’s a big game for this season. If we don’t win we don’t go to a bowl.”
Wow. Sounds like he’s preparing his fan base for a loss. He knows this is going to be a tough game against a well-prepared team that’s feeling confident.
Remember, it’s so important that his team feeds their spirit with some positive thoughts.
Still, Tennessee has the 4- and 5-star athletes and we don’t. Tennessee has the tradition and we don’t. Tennessee has 100,000 screaming fans and we don’t. I’m looking forward to Saturday and I hope we win, but I’ll have to see it to believe it.