Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Jordan Rodgers might be at half-speed in spring, and other news from new player profiles
Just went through everybody’s updated profiles, which you can access by clicking on each name on the new roster. Here are some clues about who may or may not be returning next season:
RODGERS TO TAKE IT SLOW IN SPRING
According to the profile for Jordan Rodgers, the junior college transfer, who sat out last season with a shoulder injury, will “participate on limited basis in 2011 spring drills.” Which means Larry Smith is going to get every possible chance to keep his starting quarterback job heading into the preseason.
READY TO SHINE
These redshirt freshmen got particularly high praise in their profiles, evidence that they could be ready to shine when they finally see the field:
• Vince Taylor: Would have almost certainly played last season if he hadn’t suffered a hand injury in the preseason. By the time he was ready to play, fellow freshman defensive tackle Jared Morse had already burned his redshirt, a bunch of sophomores had were proving serviceable, and the season was headed down the toilet. In retrospect, the Dores wasted way too many freshmen last season in minor roles. Taylor could be a star, and it’s a blessing that he has four years of eligibility left.
• Chris Boyd: The Dores need receivers in a bad way, and Boyd was impressive on the scout team last fall.
• Kyle Woestmann: The highly touted end impressed in the fall and could push for a starting job.
• Jamie Graham: We’ve been saying for months that the redshirt senior is allegedly graduating this semester and leaving the team, but then we were surprised to see him listed on the new roster. But there’s no summary on his profile and no notes for 2010, which leads us to believe he may be finished playing football after all.
• Ryan van Rensburg: The redshirt senior was honored on senior day, but popped up on the new roster. Except he’s got no summary or notes for 2010 on his profile, which may mean he’s gone after all.
• Justin Cabbagestalk: The redshirt sophomore is still listed on the roster, but his profile said he’s suffered yet another knee injury and his career is over.
• James Kittredge: We mentioned yesterday that the sophomore is now being listed as a defensive lineman, but he started last season at that position and unlike every other underclassman he has no updated summary and no notes for 2010. Maybe it was just an editing error.