Friday, January 29, 2010

Chris Boyd keeps his word, cancels Georgia Tech visit


After yesterday's self-important, overblown statement from Nash Nance accepting his scholarship to Tennessee ("They like me! The Vols really like me!"), it's refreshing to read what Chris Boyd announced today.

Boyd, you may recall, is the 6-foot-6 wide receiver from Roswell, Ga., whom Moral Victory! users have pegged to start this season over sophomore Brady Brown. But Boyd received a scholarship offer from Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech on Sunday night and had scheduled an official visit for this weekend.

Today, Boyd told the AJC.com this:

“I gave Vanderbilt my word. I had fun on my official visit there, and I really liked the players and coaches. I knew if I went [Tech] this weekend, it would only confuse me. I’m happy with Vanderbilt, and that’s where I want my home to be.”

We could have ill afforded to lose Boyd, whose chances for early playing time at Vandy have skyrocketed since Collin Ashley left school and Bradley Roby jumped ship to Ohio State. He and fellow true freshman Jonathan Krause had better be ready to catch some passes when they get to campus, because they're going to get every opportunity to play.

No comments: